Can't eat dairy? Well, you don't have to miss out on ice-cream or our pecan pebbles anymore!! This tried and tested recipe won't let you down, even if you are a dairy lover. Just think creamy ice-cream, coffee, crunchy pecan pebbles and zingy pomegranate - it's no wonder this is a must try recipe
1 + 2 cups coconut milk (total 3 cups)
1 pinch of salt
¾ (150g) cup sugar
5 large egg yolks
¾ tsp vanilla extract
150g Ooh La La pecan pebbles (crushed lightly)
2 Tbsp Instant coffee, dissolved in a little hot water, and cooled
Pomegranate seeds to serve
- In a medium saucepan, warm 1 cup of coconut milk, the salt and the sugar. Stir until the sugar and salt has dissolved.
- Remove from heat, and let cool until just warm, not hot (approximately 10 mins).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Gradually add some of the warm milk mixture to the beaten yolks, stirring constantly as you pour.
- Pour the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan with the rest of the warm mixture, and return to heat. Stir until combined and slightly thickened.
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl containing the remaining 2 cups of coconut milk.
- Mix, until combined, and place the bowl into an ice bath until the liquid has chilled.
- Place the mix into an ice-cream machine until the ice-cream is thick and ready to be frozen.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 28 by 10 cm loaf tin, lined with cling film (so that the ice-cream loaf can be lifted easily out of the tin later).
- Sprinkle half of the crushed pecan pebbles over the top of the ice-cream, and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Fold the coffee into the remaining half of the ice-cream.
- Remove the loaf tin from the freezer, and pour the coffee ice-cream over the top of the partially frozen first layer. Sprinkle half of the remaining pebbles over the top of this layer. Return to the freezer to set.
- To serve, remove the cake from the freezer, and lift the cake out of the tin using the cling film from earlier. Place the cake upside down on a platter and sprinkle the rest of the pebbles over the top, along with your desired amount of pomegranate seeds
- Savour and enjoy!